When hikers follow the Florida Trail around Lake Okeechobee, they walk right into historic Moore Haven to cross the broad Caloosahatchee River. Founded in 1915, Moore Haven was a major commercial center during the dredging of wetlands around the lake and the Caloosahatchee River. It’s now the launch point for outdoor adventures along the vast western marshes of Lake Okeechobee and for sailing down the Caloosahatchee to Fort Myers.
Moore Haven is a Florida Trail Gateway Community.
- Florida Trail, Lakeport to Moore Haven - Along the western marshes of Lake Okeechobee, the segment of Florida Trail between Lakeport and Moore Haven offers something that no other portion of the trail around the lake does: several miles where the dike [...]
- Florida Trail, Moore Haven to Clewiston - One of my favorite sections of the Florida Trail around Lake Okeechobee, the walk from Alvin Ward Park in Moore Haven to Clewiston Park offers up the best sunrises to be found anywhere along the [...]
- Fort Center - Explore a pre-Colombian village lost in Florida’s past – and uncovered again in modern times, thanks to the efforts of curious archaeologists – by following this trail in Fisheating Creek Wildlife Management Area. The Fort [...]
- Harney Pond Canal Boardwalk - Where’s the best view of Lake Okeechobee? It’s hidden in plain sight in the town of Lakeport, in a park that’s alternately known as the Harney Pond Canal Recreation Area and Margaret Van De Velde [...]
- Ortona Mounds - While less than a mile long, this walk in the woods in the ranchlands of Glades County takes you back to a time more than 3,000 years, well before the Calusa paddled the Caloosahatchee in [...]