Enjoy hikes within an easy reach of Mount Dora, a popular destination for antique shopping and the arts. Mount Dora spills down a rolling hill to the edge of Lake Dora, with a very walkable historic downtown district. Home to a grand old Florida railroad hotel, the Lakeside Inn, and nearly a dozen B&Bs, Mount Dora is great for a romantic getaway.
- Hidden Waters Preserve - From an aerial view, it’s obvious the region around Eustis and Mount Dora is pockmarked with sinkholes. Hidden Waters Preserve is managed by the Lake County Water Authority to protect and utilize a massive sinkhole— […]
- Ocala National Forest – Clearwater Lake Loop - Most hikers headed for Clearwater Lake in the Ocala National Forest are looking for the Florida Trail, which starts its northbound journey of 70 unbroken miles just north of SR 42 in Paisley. But the […]
- Palm Island Park - A stay at the Lakeside Inn jogged my memory of when I first discovered Palm Island Park. I was in the thick of researching a travel guide, and had walked down to the Dora Lighthouse […]
- Trimble Park - At the end of a 71-acre peninsula – once an isthmus – between Lake Beauclair and Lake Carlton in the Harris chain of lakes, Trimble Park is an under-the-radar beauty spot of which Orange County […]
- Trout Lake Nature Center - Amid hammocks of ancient oaks and dense floodplain forests along the northern shore of Trout Lake, Trout Lake Nature Center in Eustis offers a network of family-friendly interpretive nature trails that guide you through these […]